The Church of the Holy Dormition in Wollongong is part of the Australian and New Zealand Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad.
From 1950 the faithful in Wollongong held church services in buildings which they rented. Donations from the congregation allowed for the purchase of a house on 12 March 1961. One half of the building was rented out and services were held in the other half. From about 1990 the congregation enjoyed the use of the whole building.
Services such as baptisms and weddings can be arranged with the parish priest.